Wednesday, March 26, 2008

I Want My MTV


I’m going to show my age, but right now.....
I don’t care because it’s all about HIP HOP.

I’m talking about real Hip Hop…… Not the current trash that passes for Hip Hop.

During the golden years there was this show that brought the culture right into our living rooms and we couldn’t get enough…

Well let me speak for myself… I couldn’t get enough.

Since everyone didn’t live in NYC, a lot of people never saw Video Music Box with Ralph McDaniels. But by 1988 MTV was in most households and they introduced a new show called Yo! MTV Raps.

Fab Five Freddy, Ed Lover, Doctor Dre jumped in front of the camera, grabbed the mic and the rest is Hip Hop history. For 7 years pretty much everyday Yo! blessed us with the real, not that watered down, stepped on product the industry likes to calls rap music today.

Well believe it or not, it’s been 20 years since the show first aired. You could always see clips that people have downloaded to Youtube, but MTV has decided to celebrate by making April Yo!MTV Raps month. All the classic videos, photos and interviews will be featured at www.yo.mtv.com.

Until then peep this clip from the last show in 1995. It’s a freestyle session with Rakim, KRS-ONE, Eric Sermon, Chubb Rock, MC Search, Red Man, Method Man, Large, Professor, Special Ed and Craig Mack……… CLASSIC!!!!


No comments: