Sunday, May 10, 2009

If Tom Joyner can be replaced....


ORIGINALLY POSTED 3/27/09:

You know it’s bad when Tom Joyner is getting fired… This week the Tom Joyner Morning Show was not aired in the city of Chicago. What makes this interesting is that Tom has been on the radio in some way shape or form in Chicago for over 20 years…… Until this week.

The reason I wanted to talk about this is because Radio has really taken a turn for the worse. Urban radio has especially become a dying format. This is not something that has happened overnight either. It all started with the Telecommunications act of 1996. You can google it if you get bored or really want to read it. It started the ball rolling by creating these huge broadcast companies, syndicated shows, and took all the localization our of radio.

If my math serves me right, there is only 3 local morning radio shows in Jacksonville. A Country,Top 40 and Easy Listening. There are a few more but I am not counting Talk Radio. It maybe nice to talk to the community about the guns that are running thru Ribault High School. Or call up the Mayor/Sheriff and talk about a few issues. Why exactly is JEA rasing rates? Should we bring toll roads back to Duval? I could go on, but I won’t….. Radio claimed my job in Duval county a long time ago....

No comments: