Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Love or Money

I had an interesting conversation with my ex-wife yesterday. Just a bit of history.. I have been divorced for about 8 years and I have a son who is 13. I will just say that my relationship with my Ex wife is a pretty cool one… being older we now talk TO each other instead of AT each other….. Go figure
Anyway, in our conversation I asked her what her yearly salary was. Now this wasn’t just an out of the blue question to her. I was talking to a friend of mine, who works in the same field as my ex-wife, but he works for a competing company, also I already knew a ballpark figure of what she makes. She actually didn’t know the exact number because she was a manager, but recently stepped down from that position…. (Ok I took that answer)
I asked her why she didn’t tell me that her profession would make so much money when we were in college.. She said that I was so focused on doing a job I liked, and she wanted to get paid. That stuck with me…..

Is it better to have a job you love doing or having a job you hate and financial gain.
My job is kinda unique, and if you don’t work in this business you would never understand it. The in’s and out’s, the politics, the perks, and the method to the madness.
I do OK.. I consider myself very blessed to still be in a business that will chew you up and spit you out and not look back. There are peeks and valleys and I have experienced both…………….. I love my job, but I also love the dough…


The highest reward for a person’s toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it

No comments: