Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Times is getting kinda hard on the Boulevard



Gas prices are thru the roof, and I really want a motorcycle just to save a few dollars. It makes me think back to a time in college when I was broke… not just broke, but broker than broke…

I was so broke that I thought about giving plasma… Now people do that all the time for cash, but see I'm one of those people who hates needles. So I was going to put my fear aside and give plasma for a few pennies that they give you.

I got in my car and drove to the plasma center which just happened to be in a shady area of Tallahassee called "Frenchtown" and walked in the the door. What I saw just made me say… “There has to be a better way.”

I will never forget that sight. I saw people sitting in recliner chairs with tubes in their arms hooked to big machines… Now it wasn’t just a few people, it was five rows of 10 people each… 50 people giving having plasma sucked from their body for a few dollars.

I may have continued on with the process, but I caught a glimpse of one of the needles used to extract the plasma. Plus there was a smell of urine circling the center so I slowly backed out of the door and made my way back home.

I realize that there is a major economic issue when people contemplate exchanging blood for oil…

No comments: