Friday, August 15, 2008

RIP...... Bernie Mac



Last weekend, we were hit hard by the deaths of Bernie Mac and Isaac Hayes. I have been trying all week to find a way to write this, but honestly I am still numb by both of these deaths.

Remember how Dave Chappelle did the Charlie Murphy’s true hollywood stories? Well I’m sort of like Charlie because I have true stories about everyone. I am not going to go into details about Mac, but I will say that the first time I met him he cursed me out from A-Z…..
I won’t say why, but everytime I saw him after that he remembered cursing me out and we laughed about it....

Mac was a young 50 years old, and when my blackberry went off on Saturday morning, I said to myself that this has to be wrong….
I had just talked to someone a few days earlier and they said he was still in the hospital but getting better……

It is so ironic that Mac was last seen on the big screen in 2007 in the blockbuster hit Transformers, and Saturday night when I got home it was on HBO.

Mac started doing stand up in Chicago, and his performance on HBO's Def Comedy Jam thrust him into the spotlight. It also opened up doors for him to score minor roles in Friday, Booty Call, How to be a Player, and got him a talk show on HBO called Midnight Mac.

Being one of the original Kings of Comedy, he was also one of the few African American comedic actors to be able to break out of the traditional "black comedy" genre having roles in Ocean's Eleven, being Bosley in Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle and co-starring in Guess Who with Ashton Kutcher. Plus in 2004 having his first starring role as Mr. 3000.

Mac’s last completed film was Soul Men, which will also star Isaac Hayes along with Samuel L. Jackson. It is scheduled to be released on November 14, and the story is of two estranged soul-singing legends who agree to participate in a reunion performance at the Apollo Theater to honor their recently deceased band leader.

His voice will also be featured in the animated Madagascar II movie which will be out next year.

The world just got a little less funny... RIP - Bernie Mac



No comments: