Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Tropic Thunder and Rain



I’ve had a few conversations the last few weeks about the movie Tropic Thunder. Truth be told I had no idea that it would do as well at the box office as it has.

Box office numbers aside the issues have been the use of the word retard in the movie and the “blackface” acting of Robert Downey Jr.
My son and I went to preview the movie a few days before the actually release.
I personally had no problem with it and my son laughed throughout so I am assuming he had no problem with it either.

The friends I talked to had a problem with Downey playing a black man when obviously he is clearly white as they come.
I can take a joke with the best of them, and it wasn’t like Downey played the part spewing the N-word throughout the movie.
In fact I don’t remember him saying it at all...... His playing of a black man is one of the story lines of the film.

Critics are slamming the movie but how can you not see or understand tongue in cheek comedy, when most of the other cast (Ben Stiller and Jack Black) are masters at it….

Was Robert Downey’s part a little hambone and step and fetch it?… Yes it was, but I’m smart enough to know a goofy comedy when I see it.

No comments: