Sunday, May 10, 2009

Duval County Schools

Originally Posted on 5/1/09

When I think about going to school in Duval County a few things come to mind....

Former Superintendant Herb Sang, going to field trips to the Marine Science Center/Tree Hill or the Jacksonville Symphony and of course the best high school marching band from '86-'91........Paxon. I'm sure I will get some hate mail but it is what it is...

Now that I have a child in the Duval County School system, I look at things a bit differently. I remember a few years ago....all of a sudden there was an early release Wednesday...... every other week...

I mean, we were NEVER out of school, but now every other Wednesday teachers need a break..... Now to say they don't but I just couldn't understand it.

Well this week the Duval County School Board reduced the amount of time middle and high school students will spend at school next year. In a 5-2 vote, the board voted to reduce the school day by 45 minutes.

Next school year, high school students in Duval County will go to school from 7:30 a.m. to 1:45 p.m. (The current schedule is 7:15 a.m. - 2:15 p.m.)

Middle school students will go to school from 9:45 a.m. to 4 p.m., instead of 9:15 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. The school board says it will save $13 million dollars, but 200 positions will be cut.

Am I the only one scratching my head about this???

No comments: